Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Bryant Park Film Festival


Every Monday night HBO hosts a movie night in Bryant Park for free. We decided to go this past Monday and saw an old black and white movie called 'The Apartment'. The movie was actually filmed a few blocks away from our apartment. :)


I was told you have to get out there early if you want to be able to have a spot on the lawn. As I was approaching the park at around 5:00, I noticed that the lawn was completely bare, with all four sides of it packed with hundreds of people. It was quite a sight....just clean lines of people holding blankets and waiting. Kind of pretty actually. Then the police officer that was standing in the middle waved his hand and mass hysteria broke loose. I felt like I was in a Spanish bull run. People ran, or sprinted rather, to claim their little 5X5 spot on the lawn. I turned off the 'polite southern' side of me and switched to 'I have a purpose and am going to get what I want' New York side. It paid off, because we got an awesome spot right in the front.

This is a view of people behind us.



Joey met me out there, and we had dinner while we waited for the movie to start. I brought a $10 bottle of white wine (from Trader Joe's) and we matched it with the fine foods of the street vendors. Kind of funny.

By around 8:00, there were ungodly amount of people out there! I would say probly about a thousand, if not more.


And if any of you have been to Bryant Park, you know that's a lot of people for such a small area. It's no central park. It's on 42nd St., so it's a few blocks from Time Square in the middle of tall buildings.


They started off with an episode of Looney Tunes, which everyone got a kick out of!


Now I only feel it would be appropriate to say:

That's all Folks!

1 comment:

alli said...

that looks really cool!