
He finished the triathlon with a time of 1:30 minutes! Yeah Joey!!!!!!

He hated the swimming part of it. He came out of the water screaming "This SUCKS!"

For the swim, they had probly about 10 different waves (groups of people) hitting the water. Each group would have about a 4 minute difference to reduce the amount of people in the water. Nonetheless, he said he got kicked and hit on the face so many times. The lake water was literally brown, so he couldn't see 2 inches in front of his face. They had kayaks out on the water that people would latch unto if they got tired, which was a motivator and life saver for him. Oh, and it turns out, someone from his wave drowned. :( That just freaked me out when he said that...so I told him this is his first and last triathlon! He is a cyclist, not a swimmer. So stick with what you're comfortable with, right?

Speaking of which, for the second part of the race he flew through the crowds of people on his bike. He said that was the point when he started to have some fun.


He found a few friends along the way by bonding from their mutual misery. That's what got him through the swimming and running part of it.

The park was really beautiful.


They had a band called 'British Invasion' that played on stage for the after party. Here they are with Joey. The guy on the left was a John Lennon wannabe. (can't blame him)

The official tri-athletes!
The official tri-athlete with his 'would rather stand on the sideline and eat twinkies' girlfriend.


Oh, and did I mention that Joey's in ridiculous shape? I mean, seriously. After the race, I was taking pictures of him by the lake....and I was in awe. In this picture he was showing off his body art for the day. Before the race they mark your bib number with a thick sharpie on your arms and legs.

Here's his yucky bruise from the beach day....pretty!

Here is Steve and Nikki. You could never tell, but this was right after Nikki finished the race. She's ridiculously athletic and enjoyed every minute of the race....except for that swim of course. Steve was my fellow cheerleader. We thought we were funny by reminding Joey and Nikki how tired we were from standing for so long and screaming. Sadly enough, it wasn't far from the truth. We took a nap after the race while Joey and Nikki watched tv.
Here is Nikki's family...who I LOVED! They were so, so nice to me and Joey. They cooked like crazy and treated us like royalty. I was like, can we just stay here for a few more days? Also, they live in this huge country house. They have land like you wouldn't believe filled with race horses and soy bean fields. We went for a really nice walk after dinner on Saturday with their lab Sammie. The sun was setting over the fields and there were fire flies buzzing around. It felt like summer.
Here's Sammie.
After the race, Nikki's family took us to this hopping brunch place that is known for their bread. I got a cheese and bacon omelette....yummy!
This was from our way back to the apartment on Sunday.

The dinner at the Boat Basin was a success! We had a group of 7-8 people get together to celebrate. It was the perfect place because of the relaxing atmosphere. The sun was setting over docked boats with a smell of salt water in the air. Ahh.

A neato shot of our friend Blaine.
I took this one right before we left. I liked the colors with the city lights.
Here is a sight of relief. The finish line. :) I apologize is this post was a tad long....I am just so proud of Mr. Joey!


3 comments:
very awesome, congrats Stains!
Joey, You "da Man" !! Congratulations! I loved seeing the photos and knowing ya'll had such an awesome time. Still saying Melissa needs to check out the writing/photo scene.
Gotta go check on my big boys!...ha.
'Missuh"
Nice job Joey!
Post a Comment