Sunday, August 31, 2008

CNN/Evacuations


I have been glued to CNN all day. Worried sick. 

I honestly don't know what will happen with New Orleans if it turns out as bad as it's predicted. Katrina was awful, but it was a category 3 and New Orleans got the west side (best side) of the storm. This time around, we have a category 4 on our hands, with New Orleans to be hit on the east side. Also, the storm is so enormous, it's expected to affect the whole south part of Louisiana.

My mom led the troops at 2 AM this morning running on no sleep, as in did not go to sleep at all, to arrive at Scranton, TN at around 1:30 today. Yesterday I talked to my mom and they were doing the usual pre-evacuation stuff. Rounding up all of your pictures and valuable things for the ride, and everything else goes upstairs. This is a routine that you can do in your sleep when you are a New Orleanian... or live anywhere else on the gulf coast really.

The rest of my family is in Arkansas, and a few friends are heading to Chattanooga. Speaking of which, I've been keeping in touch with people through text, but those I haven't talked to- feel free to leave a comment saying you're okay. :) But then again, who is going to be checking my blog during all of this mayhem? 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The storm looks like it may be coming in at a Cat 3. Better than a Cat 4. I had my 45 minute sleep in 36 hours. I am so refreshed and ready to watch the news with Gustav.

UptownGirl said...

That's good news. 45 minutes of sleep? You can do better than that mummsykins!

Anonymous said...

all is well with me and my family, but you should see BR! everything is a mess here! trees and debris everywhere! there are lots of people still without power (and maybe not getting it back until late sept/early oct!) luckily my townhouse has power...those 4 or 5 nights i spent without it in this nasty, hot, muggy louisiana weather were NOT FUN!