Thursday, January 24, 2008

Henry Matisse

Warning: The geek side of me leaks out here. If you want to keep the "too cool for school" impression of me in your mind (that I know you all have) then skip to the next post. ;)


I have loved Matisse's work for a few years now. I remember when I saw some of his work on display at the Met....and it just kinda jumped out at me. And for that to happen at the Met? There are so many beautiful paintings in there...



He used such bold colors and simple figures that make such a statement.




And where did his inspiration come from? Textiles! He had pieces of blue and white cotten that he bought from a second hand shop in Paris stored away in trunks (that were found after he died). If you notice, a lot of his other work focuses on blouses or gowns.




Also, he was a lawyer's clerk for many years, until it clicked. Art. I love stories like that. It makes you wonder what the girl at the check out lane is hiding. Will she be the next person to throw in the dish rag and move unto something big? Crazy to think about.


I want to take a painting class this summer. I have always had that artsy side to me, but never formally gave it a try. I would like to paint my dreams.



So question: Who is your favorite artist? And what's your secret talent? Or if you don't have one, which would you pick?

That's right....click that little "comment" button. Scary, I know. Just breathe...

:)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very impressive!! New York is bringing out the artsy part of you that has been in you since you were little.

Anonymous said...

i studied him in art last year, we did the goldfish. very nice my meleesa